Like many web 2.0 sites, Flickr has encouraged others to build their own online applications using images found on the site. Through the use of APIs (application programming interfaces), many people have created third party tools and mashups that use Flickr images. Here are just a few samples...
- Trippermap - allows you to graph a trip on a map with tagged photos.
- Colorpicker - lets you find public photos in Flickr that match a specific color.
- Trip planner - lets you build a travel itinerary and photo site.
As each of us becomes more comfortable with using Flickr, we can make better use of it for our photos. Your discovery exercise for this "thing" is to:
- Explore some of the fun Flickr mashups and 3rd party tools that are out there. (You are not limited to the three listed above.)
- Create a blog post about one that intrigues you.
So, have some fun discovering and exploring some neat little apps.